Homecoming is a short story set in the Rain Wilds during the time when the first settlers arrived there from Jamaillia. It contains a series of diary entries by Lady Carillion Carrock. It is a prequel to the the Liveship Traders trilogy but isn't required reading before starting the trilogy.
- First published in hardcover in the Legends 2 anthology in the UK in 2003 and its various editions in the UK and US in 2004 (hardcover and paperback).
- Reprinted in The Inheritance in 2011.
- Reprinted in paperback Epic: Legends of Fantasy in November 2012.
- A Dutch translation De thuiskomst : het rijk van de ouderlingen, translated by Erica Feberwee, published in the anthology Mythen from Luitingh in 2004.
- A Dutch translation (title?) published in 2012 in De verhalen.
- A French translation Retour au pays, translated by Veronique David-Marescot, first published in the anthology Légendes de la fantasy II by Pygmalion in 2006 with ISBN 9782756400235, it was republished by J'ai lu in 2008 with ISBN 9782290002957.
- reprinted as a standalone edition paperback by Pygmalion in 2007 with ISBN 9782756401119, and republished by Librio in 2008 with ISBN 9782290009536, by J'ai lu in 2008 with ISBN 9782290009635, by Piment (2009) and by Flammarion in 2009 with ISBN 9782081209589 and an introduction by Patrice Kleff. Note about the French translation: "Homecoming" was omitted from the French translation of the Inheritance anthology.
- A German translation Heimkehr in Legenden - Lord John, der magische Pakt: und andere Abenteuer by Piper in March 2006 with ISBN 9783492700948 and by Piper in June 2006 with a slightly altered cover with ISBN 9783492266161.
- A Greek translation ?? in Θρύλοι, B' Τόμος published in 2006. The original Legends 2 was split into 4 parts, and this is the 2nd volume of the series with ISBN 9603065323.
- Polish translation Kraina Najstarszych: Powrót do domu in Legendy II by Dom Wydawniczy Rebis in 2004
- A Russian translation Возвращение домой in "Легенды II" published by АСТ in 2006. Hardcover with ISBN 5170344694.
- the Short Story Award of the French fantasy festival Imaginales, 2006