The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince
The Willful Princess and the Piebald Prince is a retelling of the Piebald Prince legend known in the Six Duchies. The book is divided into two parts titled "The Willfull Princess" and "The Piebald Prince". The story is set in the time when The Wit wasn't yet hated and feared in the Six Duchies. King Virile and Queen Capable have a daughter, Princess Caution, who grows up to become the Willful Princess of the folktales. The story is told to us by her closest friend and ally Felicity and is partially based on the account of Redbird the minstrel.
Note that there is a difference in the spelling of the title over different editions ("willful" in the US, "wilful" in the UK).
- A US hardcover edition by Subterranean Press in early 2013 with cover art and illustrations by Jon Foster, ISBN 9781596065444. There are two full-page colour illustrations on unnumbered pages. This is a cloth bound trade edition with a dust jacket, at least two printings.
- a limited edition of 250 signed and numbered copies bound in leather but otherwise as above.
- A UK hardcover edition by Harper Voyager the 24th of October 2013 with ISBN 9780007498130, cover art and interior illustrations by Jackie Morris.
A UK paperback edition by Harpercollins the 20th of November 2014 with ISBN 9780007498161.Seemingly postponed/cancelled.
- A Kindle edition from Subterranean Press the 23rd of October 2013 with ASIN: B00G5VFPWQ.
- A Kindle edition from Harper Voyager, the 21st of November 2013 with ASIN: B00CKE05PY.
- An unabridged audio book from HarperCollins the 24th of October 2013. Narrated by Rachel Atkins. Length 3 hours 29 minutes.
- A Dutch translation De Eigenzinnige Prinses en de Bonte Prins by Luitingh in April 2013 with, translated by Fred Karreman and Eric Karreman with ISBN 9789024559541.
- A French translation Le Prince bâtard by Pygmalion the 6th of November 2013, translated by Arnaud Mousnier-Lompré with ISBN 9782756410739. Reprinted by J'ai lu the 7th of January 2015 with ISBN 9782290102596.