no edit summary
[[Image:DragonKeeperHBfront.jpg|thumb|The cover for The Dragon Keeper UK hardcover
edition, art by [[Jackie Morris]].]]
[[Image:Dragon Keeper US.jpg|thumb|The cover for the US hardcover edition of Dragon Keeper, art by [[Steve Stone]].]]
'''The Dragon Keeper''' is part one of [[Rain Wild Chronicles]]. It was originally meant to be a standalone book. When the manuscript grew too large to be a single book, it was split into two parts that were then published as "The Dragon Keeper" and [[Dragon Haven]]. A later sequel met with the same fate and was published as [[City of Dragons]] and [[Blood of Dragons]], making the chronicles a four volume series.<ref>http://fantasy-faction.com/2013/robin-hobb-interview Fantasy faction Robin Hobb interview</ref>
The story takes place in the [[Rain Wilds]] and [[Bingtown]] some time after the events in [[Ship of
Magic]] and [[Fool's Fate]]. Like the [[Liveship Traders trilogy|Liveship Traders]], the story is told in third person. The viewpoint characters are [[Thymara]], [[Alise Kincarron]], [[Sisarqua]]/[[Sintara]], [[Leftrin]] and [[Sedric Meldar]]. Notes sent between two [[Keeper of the Birds|Keepers of the Birds]], [[Erek]] and [[Detozi]] are set between each chapter of the book.
* An Australian/New Zealand trade paperback the 1st of July 2009 with ISBN 9780007273768.
* A US hardcover edition by HarperCollins/Eos January the 26th 2010 with ISBN
0061561622 (or 9780061561627 ?). Cover art by [[Steve Stone]].
** At least some of the US Advance Reading Copies of this book were tied with a leather string with a tiny dragon charm attached to it. The ARCs sent out seem to have had more or less the final cover design with a tiny round "stamp" declaring them as ARCs. The cover design with red and white font seem to have been used in online marketing only.
* A US mass market paperback by HarperVoyager in January/February 2011 with ISBN 9780061561658. First printed with the Steve Stone cover, later reprints with the Jackie Morris
one using the same ISBN.
* A UK paperback edition by HarperVoyager the 4th of March 2010 with ISBN 9780007342594 and another with ISBN 9780007273751 (
assuming these are mass market and trade paperbacks).
* A paperback
edition in 2012 by Harper Voyager with ISBN 9780061561658.
* A Kindle edition from Harper Voyager the 8th of May 2012 with ASIN B003GFIW10.
Image:61ae-uAzmHL. SS500 .jpg|UK audio book
Image:US-dragonkeeper-audio.jpeg|US audio book
* A Dutch translation titled ''Drakenhoeder'' by Luitingh the 11th of November 2009 with ISBN 9789024528769.
* A French translation split into two parts
** ''Dragons et serpents'' from Pygmalion the 22nd of September 2010 with ISBN 9782756402871, cover by Steve Stone, translated by Arnaud Mousnier-Lompré. Also released as a kindle edition the 11th of October 2011 with ASIN B005Y14L2I. Reprinted the 9th of November 2011 by J'ai lu with ISBN 9782290032763 as well as by France Loisirs.
** ''Les eaux acides'' from Pygmalion the 17th of November 2010 with ISBN 9782756402888, cover by Steve Stone, translated by Arnaud Mousnier-Lompré. Also released as a kindle edition the 21st of October 2011 with ASIN B005Y14L5K. Reprinted the 8th of January 2012 by J'ai lu with ISBN 9782290033135 as well as by France Loisirs.
* A French combined volume of the above: ''Les Cités des Anciens : Coffret 2 volumes : Tome 1, Dragons et serpents ; Tome 2, Les Eaux acids'' from Pygmalion the 8th of October 2011 with ISBN 9782756405629.
* A German translation ''Drachenhüter'' in March 2012 from Heyne with ISBN 9783453529182. Translated by Simon Weinert.
* An Italian translation ''Il Custode del Drago'' by Fanucci the 22nd of April 2010 with ISBN 9788834715895. Translated by Gabriele Giorgi.
Image:Dragonsetserpents.jpg|French ''Dragons et serpents'' (2010)
Image:Fr-dk-1-loisirs.jpg|French ''Dragons et serpents''
Image:Fr-dk-2-loisirs.jpg|French ''Les eaux acides''
Image:Fr-dk-combined.jpg|French ''Dragons et serpents'' & ''Les eaux acides''
Image:IIscustode.jpg|Italian, ''Il Custode del Drago''