Assassin's Quest is the last book in the Farseer trilogy, first published in 1997. Previous books in the series are Assassin's Apprentice and Royal Assassin. The next book that concerns Fitz directly is Fool's Errand, but chronologically what follows the Farseer trilogy is the Liveship Traders trilogy, and it is highly recommended to read those first.
- A British English hardcover edition was issued in London by Voyager/Harpercollins in March 1997 with ISBN 0002246082. Original price £16.99. The covers were illustrated by John Howe.
- An American English hardcover edition was issued in New York by Bantam Books in April 1997 with ISBN 0553106406. Original price $22.95. The covers were illustrated by Stephen Youll. This was the first US hardcover edition of any Robin Hobb book.
- A US trade paperback from Dell with ISBN 0553378724 in 1997.
- A US paperback edition in 1998 from Bantam Spectra with ISBN 0553565699. Covers by Stephen Youll. Under Hobb's name on the cover there's a line "author of x" that changes from "Royal Assassin" to "Ship of Magic" to "Fool's Fate" between printings.
- A UK paperback edition in 1998 by HarperCollins/Voyager with ISBN 000648011X with covers by John Howe (later also ISBN 9780006480112). Reprint with the Jackie Morris dragon cover the 16 the of March 2008 with the same ISBN.
- A US paperback edition in 2014 with cover art by Alejandro Colucci to match the US design of Fool's Assassin with ISBN 9780553565690.
- A UK paperback reprint with the new Jackie Morris cover by Harper Voyager the 16th of January 2014 with ISBN 9780007562275.
- A US hardcover edition by Subterranean Press in December 2016, with new cover art by John Howe. This is part of a reprint of the whole first trilogy and is available in three formats:
- Limited Edition Set of the whole trilogy, 500 signed numbered sets, bound in cloth, $180.00
- Lettered Edition Set, 26 signed leatherbound sets, housed in a custom traycase
- each volume of the trilogy sold individually, $60.00 each
- A UK slipcased hardcover edition by Harper Voyager the 2nd of November 2017 with ISBN 9780008223281, to match the AA 20th anniversary edition.
- an ebook edition by Harper Voyager the 1st of September 2011 with ASIN: B005JE1KLU.
- An unabridged audio book edition by Tantor the 3rd of August 2010 with ISBN 9781400164363, narrated by Paul Boehmer, length 39 hrs.
- An unabridged audio book edition by HarperCollins Publishers Limited the 30th of August 2012 with ASIN: B00943C87C, length 37 hours 39 minutes.
For the covers of these translations, see Assassin's Quest cover gallery.
- A Bulgarian translation Тронът in 2001 by Бард, a paperback with ISBN 9789545852763 and Stephen Youll cover art.
- A Chinese translation was first published in 2004 in two parts: first part 刺客任務 上 with ISBN 9789867576057 and second part 刺客任務 下 with ISBN 9789867576064. Translator Jiang Ai Ling. Another Chinese editions was published by 汕头大学出版社 with ISBN 9787810369107 and different cover art, again in two volumes. A third Chinese translation was published the 1st of June 2016 by 上海社会科学院出版社 with ISBN 9787552011418. Again in two volumes and with new cover art.
- A Czech translation in four parts in paperback by Návrat
- A Danish translation Snigmorderens kald the 14th of June 2018 by Cicero in hardcover with ISBN 9788763848893. Translated by Marianne Linneberg Rasmussen, cover art by Jackie Morris.
- A Dutch translation De boeken van de Zieners: Vermogen en wijsheid from Meulenhoff 26th of November 1998 with ISBN 9029057122, hardcover, translation by Peter Cuijpers and cover art by John Howe. Reprinted 30th of April 1999 in trade paperback with ISBN 9029059680 and 25th of October 2000 with ISBN 9029068345 (M-pact edition). Republished in hardcover with new cover art in February 2011 by De Boekerij with ISBN 9789022553411.
- A Dutch boxset paperback edition of the Farseer trilogy, De Boeken van de Zieners - deel 1, 2 en 3, from Luitingh-Sijthoff in November 2017 with the Alejandro Colucci cover art and ISBN 9789024579693.
- An Estonian translation Salamõrtsuka teekond in two parts from Varrak in hardcover, also available as ebooks:
- A Finnish translation Salamurhaajan taival from Otava in 1998, ISBN 9511146157 (hardcover), and in 2000 ISBN 9511166646 (paperback). Translator Sauli Santikko.
- A French translation in three parts from Pygmalion in 2000 in trade paperback. Covers by Copik, translated by A. Mousnier-Lompré.
- Le poison de la vengeance with ISBN 285704612X. Reprinted by France Loisirs in December 2000 with ISBN 2744140848 and using Copik's cover art. Reprinted again by J'ai lu in May 2002 with ISBN 2290318450 and cover art by Sofiane Tilikete. Reprinted again by J'ai lu/Baam! in February 2009 with ISBN 9782290013243 with cover art by Jean-Sébastien Rossbach and once more by J'ai lu in August 2009 with ISBN 9782290318454 and cover art by Vincent Madras and new fonts/cover style.
- La voie magique with ISBN 285704643X. Reprinted by France Loisirs in February 2001 with ISBN 2744142239 and using Copik's cover art. Reprinted again by J'ai lu in September 2002 with ISBN 2290320218 and cover art by Sofiane Tilikete. The same cover layout switched to ISBN 9782290320211 but now with cover art by Vincent Madras in July 2007. Reprinted again by J'ai lu/Baam! in April 2009 with ISBN 9782290014189 with cover art by Jean-Sébastien Rossbach. Reprinted once more by J'ai lu in August 2009 with ISBN 9782290320211 and the earlier cover art by Vincent Madras but with new fonts/cover style.
- La reine solitaire with ISBN ISBN 2857046790. Reprinted by France Loisirs in July 2001 with ISBN 2744147850 and using Copik's cover art. Reprinted again by J'ai lu in February 2003 with ISBN 229032552X and cover art by Sofiane Tilikete. Reprinted by J'ai lu in October 2006 with ISBN 229032552X and new cover art by Vincent Madras. Reprinted by J'ai lu in January 2008 (?) with ISBN 9782290325520 and the same cover art by Madras but with the new font/cover style. Also reprinted by J'ai lu/Baam! in September 2009 with ISBN 9782290014196 and new cover art by Jean-Sébastien Rossbach.
- A French omnibus edition La Citadelle des ombres 2: Le Poison de la vengeance, La voie magique, La reine solitaire in March 2001 from Pygmalion with ISBN 2857046839. Reprinted in November 2012 with ISBN 9782756408743 and new cover art by Stéphane Desbenoit.
- An unabridged French audio book in three parts:
- Le poison de la vengeance (L'assassin royal 4) the 26 of january 2017 from Audible Studios, length 12 hours and 49 minutes, narrated by Sylvain Agaësse. Cover art by Vincent Madras. ASIN: B01N5MCTO9
- La voie magique (L'Assassin royal 5) the 23rd of February 2017 from Audible Studios, length 12 hours and 36 minutes, narrated by Sylvain Agaësse. Cover art by Vincent Madras. ASIN: B01NHC0QB3
- La reine solitaire (L'Assassin royal 6) the 30th of March 2017 from Audible Studios, length 12 hours and 32 minutes, narrated by Sylvain Agaësse. Cover art by Vincent Madras. ASIN: B06XDQNM2D
- A German translation Die Magie des Assassinen from Bastei-Lübbe in 2000 with ISBN 9783404282371. Reprinted also in 2000 with ISBN 9783404203758, paperback. Republished in hardcover in 2004 with ISBN 9783828975835.
- A second German translation Der Nachtmagier in March 2010 from Heyne in paperback with ISBN 9783453525214, also available for kindle. Also released as an audio book the 28th of May 2016 by Ronin - Hörverlag with ASIN B01G8Y0164. Narrated by Matthias Lühn, length 41 hours and 6 minutes.
- A third German translation Der Erbe der Schatten from Penhaligon Verlag the 11th of December 2017 (paperback & ebook) with ISBN 9783764531867. Translated by Eva Bauche-Eppers, cover art and design by Isabelle Hirtz?
- A Greek translation Η τελευταία αποστολή in two parts from Anubis in 2002, with the Stephen Youll cover art. Part 1 ISBN 9789603063520, part 2 ISBN 9789603063537.
- A Hebrew translation שליחותו של רוצח in 1998 by Astrolog, trade paperback.
- A Hungarian translation in two parts in large paperback format by Camarilla, translated by Norbert Horváth and Cseperke Papp (poems). Cover art Csaba Zsilvölgyi ("Max")
- A Hungarian translation Az orgyilkos küldetése in hardback in 2011 by Delta Vision with ISBN 9789639890091 and new cover art by Richárd Vass & Péter Tikos.
- An Italian translation Il viaggio dell'assassino from Fanucci in January 2005 in hardcover with ISBN 9788834710555. Translated by Paola Cartoceti, cover art by Daniele Colaiacomo. Reprinted in paperback in March 2007 with ISBN 9788834712801. Same cover art, different fonts. Reprinted again in March 2017 in paperback with ISBN 9788834733028 and new cover art.
- A Japanese translation in two parts the 27th of February 2006 from 東京創元社 with cover art by Miki Okuda. Part one 真実の帰還 上 with ISBN 4488562051 and part two 真実の帰還 下 with ISBN 448856206X.
- A Polish translation: Wyprawa skrytobójcy. First edition by Proszynski i S-ka on July 27th 1998, ISBN 8371802021 (2 paperbacks sold together). Second paperback edition by MAG split into two parts: first on July 11th 2005, ISBN 8389004941 and part two on July 29th 2005, ISBN 8389004895. Translator Agnieszka Kwiatkowska, cover art by Stephen Youll. Republished in hardcover the 21st of November 2014 by MAG with ISBN 9788374804592 and with new cover art by Dagmara Matuszak.
- A Portuguese translation in two parts by Edições Saída de Emergência in 2010. Translated by Jorge Candeias.
- A Portuguese translation A fúria do assassino, by Leya Brasil in 2014 with ISBN 9788544101063 and cover art from Marc Simonetti. Kindle Edition the 7th of October 2014 with ASIN B00O9EWJFW
- A Romanian translation Răzbunarea asasinului from Nemira in two parts, translated by Antuza Genescu with ISBN 9786065791831. Volume 1 in May 2011 and volume 2 in June 2011. Republished in March 2017 with ISBN 9786067588934 and new cover art.
- A Russian translation in two parts from Азбука-Терра:
- A Russian translation Странствия убийцы published by Эксмо in 2003 in hardcover with ISBN 5699017364 and Stephen Youll's cover art. Reprinted in 2006 with ISBN 5699164774 with the same cover but without the blue border. Republished again in 2008 with ISBN 9785699252992 and pale pink cover, this is a corrected edition where some changes to the translation has been made. Reprinted again in January 2012 with ISBN 9785699537556, this is the last Russian edition with the Youll cover art. Another hardcover edition was released to match the 2017 AA+RA omnibus. Titled Странствия убийцы, published by Азбука in 2017 with ISBN 9785389113985 and the new Jackie Morris cover.
- A Russian omnibus of the whole Farseer trilogy titled Трилогия о королевском убийце in hardcover with ISBN 9785699405671 published in 2010.
- A Serbian translation Kraljevi zmajevi in paperback by Laguna in 2009, with ISBN 9788652101580. Translated by Tatjana Bižić.
- A Slovenian translation Morilčeva pot by Gnostica in 2010 with ISBN 9789612291075
- A Spanish translation from La Factoría de Ideas in two parts in 2004, translated by Manuel de los Reyes. Both volumes use the ISBN ISBN 8498000688
- La búsqueda del asesino with cover art by Stephen Youll
- La senda del asesino with cover art by John Howe
- A Spanish translation La búsqueda del asesino from Circulo de lectores in 2007. Hardcover with ISBN 9788467227277 and cover art by Xavier Martínez. Published again as a paperback in June 2011 by La factoría de ideas with ISBN 9788498007084 and the Jackie Morris dragon cover. Published again in July 2014 by DeBolsillo with new cover art by Marc Simonetti and ISBN 9788490623022 (also available as ebook) as well as in August 2014 by Plaza & Janés México with ISBN 9786073125284 (same Simonetti cover, different fonts).
- A Swedish translation in two parts by Natur och Kultur and translated by Ylva Spångberg.
- A Turkish translation Suikastçının Arayışı in paperback in 2006 with ISBN 9789752731967 and Youll's cover art.