The Dragon Keeper is part one of the two-part Rain Wild Chronicles. It was originally written as just one book, titled "The Dragon Keeper" but it was so long that the publishers decided to split it (much like happened with The Reindeer People¬†and Wolf's Brother.) Part two is Dragon Haven.
It is not a direct continuation of the the Liveship Traders trilogy but it does take place in the Rain Wilds and Bingtown a short time after the events in Fool's Fate. Like the Liveship books, the story is told in third person. There are four view point characters and we meet some old friends in passing.
The Rain Wild Chronicles - The Dragon Keeper
Editions and translations
- UK and Australian hardcover edition published by HarperVoyager 25th of June 2009 with ISBN 9780007273744. Cover art by Jackie Morris. Dustjacket price ¬£ 20.00
- Australian trade paperback with ISBN 9780007273768 1st of July 2009.
- an audio book edition read by Saskia Butler, published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd; Unabridged edition 1 July 2009 with ISBN 9780007317097
- US hardcover edition January 26th 2010 with ISBN 0061561622. Cover art by Steve Stone.
- a Dutch translation titled Drakenhoeder by Luitingh scheduled for September 2009
Notes and sources
- Pat's Fantasy Hotlist interview.
- UK SF Book News interview
- Robin's Newsgroup
- Drafts 6 and 7 of the book's prologue at Robin's Myspace blog.
- Summary for the book and other details at the publisher's site
- HarperCollins Australia trade paperback
- HarperCollins Australia hardcover
- Extract at Voyager blog
- The official book trailer for the Dragon Keeper
- Another extract
- Dragon Haven on HarperCollins homepage
Some sites like amazon.co.uk lists the following information for the first UK publication
- Hardcover Publisher: HarperVoyager (1 July 2009) Language English ISBN 9780007290253