The Dragon Keeper is part one of the two-part Rain Wild Chronicles. The story was originally written as just one book, titled "The Dragon Keeper" but it was so long that the publishers decided to split it (much like happened with The Reindeer People¬†and Wolf's Brother.) Part two is Dragon Haven.
The story takes place in the Rain Wilds and Bingtown some time after the events in Ship of Magic and Fool's Fate. Like the Liveship Traders, the story is told in third person. The viewpoint characters are Thymara, Alise Kincarron Finbok, Sisarqua/Sintara, Leftrin and Sedric Meldar. Notes sent between two Keepers of the Birds, Erek and Detozi are between each chapter of the book.
The book is dedicated
To the memory of Spot and Smokey,
Brownie-butt and Rainbow, Rag-bag and Sinbad.
Fine pigeons, one and all.
- UK and Australia hardcover edition published by HarperVoyager 25th of June 2009 with ISBN 9780007273744. Cover art by Jackie Morris. Dustjacket price ¬£ 20.00 HarperCollins UK website also lists a "signed limited edition", a hardback with ISBN 9780007345595 published 3rd of September 2009 but this doesn't seem to exist.
- Australian trade paperback 1st of July 2009 with the UK cover and ISBN 9780007273768.
- UK audio book by HarperCollins, unabridged edition 1st of July 2009, narrated by Saskia Butler. ISBN 9780007317097.
- UK paperback edition by HarperVoyager 4th of March 2010. There seem to be two different sizes with two ISBNs:
The US editions print the title as "Dragon Keeper" without the definite article.
- at least some of the US ARC/proof copies of this book were send out tied with a leather string with a tiny dragon charm attached to it. The US covers went through some major font changes before publishing, whether any actual copies with the red and white "fantasy font" exists is not certain .
- US hardcover edition by HarperCollins/Eos January 26th 2010 with ISBN 0061561622. Cover art by Steve Stone.
- US audio book by Tantor media, unabridged edition 26th of January, narrated by Anne Flosnik. ISBN 9781400113330.
- US mass market paperback by Eos January 25th 2011 with ISBN 9780061561658
- a Dutch translation titled De Kronieken van de Wilde Regenlanden eerste boek: Drakenhoeder by Luitingh, 11th of November 2009 with ISBN 9789024528769
- an Italian translation titled Il Custode del Drago (Le Cronache delle Giungle della Pioggia #1) by Fanucci, 22nd of April 2010 with ISBN 9788834715895. Translated by Gabriele Giorgi.
- A French translation was split in two parts. Part 1 titled Les Cit√©s des Anciens, Tome 1 : Dragons et serpents was published by Pygmalion 22nd of September 2010 with ISBN 9782756402871 and part 2 Les Cit√©s des Anciens, Tome 2 : Les eaux acides 17th of November 2010 with ISBN 9782756402888. The covers are the US covers for Dragon Haven and Dragon Keeper respectively and the translation is by Arnaud Mousnier-Lompr√©.
Notes and sources
- Drafts 6 and 7 of the book's prologue at Robin's Myspace blog.
- The official book trailer for the Dragon Keeper
- Extract at Voyager blog
- Another extract
- Summary for the book and other details at HarperVoyager (UK)
- HarperCollins Australia trade paperback
- HarperCollins Australia hardcover
- US audio book sample and details at tantor.com
- Summary for the book and other details at HarperCollins/Eos (US)