Meditations on Middle-earth
Meditations on Middle-earth is a collection of essays on J. R. R. Tolkien and his works, edited by Karen Haber and illustrated by John Howe. It was nominated for the 2002 Hugo and Locus awards. It includes Robin Hobb's A Bar and a Quest.
- Karen Haber: Preface: The Beat Goes On
- George R.R. Martin: Introduction
- Raymond Feist: Our Grandfather: Meditations on J.R.R. Tolkien
- Poul Anderson: Awakening the Elves
- Michael Swanwick: A Changeling Returns
- Esther M. Friesner: If You Give a Girl a Hobbit
- Harry Turtledove: The Ring and I
- Terry Pratchett: Cult Classic
- Robin Hobb: A Bar and a Quest
- Ursula K. Le Guin: Rhythmic Pattern in the Lord of the Rings
- Diane Duane: The Longest Sunday
- Douglas A. Anderson: Tolkien After All These Years
- Orson Scott Card: How Tolkien Means
- Charles de Lint: The Tale Goes Ever On
- Lisa Goldstein: The Mythmaker
- Glenn Hurdling: "The Radical Distinction. . . " A Conversation with Tim and Greg Hildebrandt
- Terri Windling: On Tolkien and Fairy-Stories
- Author Biographies
- first hardback edition from St. Martin's Press in October 2001 with ISBN 9780312275365.
- paperback edition from Earthlight the 7th of May 2002 with ISBN 9780743231008.
- paperback edition from St. Martin's Griffin the 11th of October 2002 with ISBN 9780312302900.
- paperback edition from Simon & Schuster the 1st of November 2003 with ISBN 9780743468749.
- Kindle edition with ASIN: B003G93YC8.
- French: Méditations sur les Terres du Milieu, a hardcover edition the 27th of August 2003 by Bragelonne with ISBN 9782914370530. There was also a matching bookmark printed by the publisher to go with the book.
- German: Tolkiens Zauber, a paperback edition the 1st of November 2002 by Heyne with ISBN 9783453861688. Reprinted in May 2006 by Piper Verlag with ISBN 9783492266109, paperback.
- Japanese:『指輪物語』世界を読む_われらが祖父トールキン, Tankobon Hardcover, the 1st of December 2002 with ISBN 9784562035762. Translated by Itaru Kitazawa.
- Spanish: La Tierra Media, reflexiones y comentarios, a hardcover edition the 30th of January 2005 by Minotauro with ISBN 9788445073780. Reprinted in hardcover by Altaya in August 2008 with ISBN 9788448726249.