The Skill-coterie, when formed in the traditional and right way, is a mutually chosen group of six people who are trained in the Skill to aid the reigning Farseer monarch. Those Skill-users who have not formed bonds and therefore coteries will serve their monarch as Solos.
It was customary that the Skillmaster would regularly seek out youngsters who showed potential for the Skill and bring them to Buckkeep for instructing them. Strong Skill-users have always been rare, and there were seldom more than two or three coteries in existence at any time. King Bounty discontinued the practise of building these coteries, probably believing that restricting the Skill only to the highest royalty would increase their power.
Skill-coteries were by custom named after its key member, instead of the Skill-master that created them.
- Stanchion's coterie: Stanchion, Gull, Kestrel and two others (formed for Queen Diligence)
- Crossfire's coterie: Crossfire, Cleave the Blind, Hist the Halt, Joiner, Kevin, Porter, Sever (formed by Skillmaster Tactic for Queen Vision)
- Merry's coterie: Merry, ... (formed by Skillmistress Solem for King Shield)
- Galen's coterie: Justin, Serene, Will, Burl and Carrod (formed by Skillmaster Galen for Regal)
- Salt's coterie: Salt, Realder, ...
- Dutiful's coterie: Dutiful, Fitz, Thick, Chade, the Fool
- Nettle's coterie: Nettle, Steady, four others