Fool's Assassin is the first part of the Fitz and the Fool trilogy. It picks up Fitz's tale after the events told in the Rain Wild Chronicles. The story is told by two narrators: Fitz and Bee. It is followed by Fool's Quest and Assassin's Fate.
- US hardcover edition by Del Rey the 12 of August 2014 with ISBN 9780553392425. Cover art by Alejandro Colucci.
- The Advance Reader Copy used the same cover design as the first edition hardback.
- UK hardcover edition by HarperVoyager the 12th of August 2014 with ISBN 9780007444175 with cover art by Jackie Morris.
- The Advance Reader Copy had a simple design with the lettering from the finished version and a single bee. It was distributed wrapped in an illustrated paper and tied with a blue ribbon with a golden key on it.
- An Australia & New Zealand trade paperback edition from HarperVoyager the 12th of August 2014 with ISBN 9780007444199 and Morris cover art.
- A UK paperback edition from Harper Voyager the 16th of July 2015 with ISBN 9780007444205.
- A US paperback edition from Del Rey the 28th of July 2015 with ISBN 9780553392913.
- Kindle edition from HarperVoyager the 12th of August 2014 with ASIN B00IHS20P0.
- An unabridged audiobook by Harper Collins the 12 of August 2014, narrated by Lee Maxwell-Simpson and Avita Jay in two parts:
- An unabridged audiobook by Random House Audio the 12 of August 2014 with ISBN 9780553546354 / ASIN B00K2899I4 and length of 20 hours, narrated by Elliot Hill.
- a Bulgarian translation Убиецът на Шута from Бард in March 2016 with ISBN 9789546556684 and cover art by Jackie Morris.
- a Chinese translation in paperback from Fantasy Foundation the 8th of November 2016. Translated by 李鐳. Cover art by Alejandro Colucci.
- a Dutch translation titled De Moordenaar van de Nar the 29th of September 2014 with ISBN 9789024564842 (hardback). Cover art by Marco Lap and John Howe. Additionally, a numbered signed Collector's Edition with ISBN 9789024565504 was made available. Translated by Ruud Bal.
- a Finnish translation Narrin salamurhaaja from Otava in September 2018, ISBN 9789511327608. Translated by Ilkka Rekiaro, cover art by Jackie Morris.
- a French translation in two parts from Pygmalion
- Le Fou et l'Assassin the 29 of October 2014 with ISBN 9782756411187. Reprinted by France Loisirs with ISBN 9782298100778 in 2015 and again by J'ai lu the 6th of January 2016 with ISBN 9782290118405.
- Le Fou et l'Assassin: La Fille de l'Assassin the 11th of March 2015 with ISBN 9782756415055. Reprinted by France Loisirs (ISBN?) and again by J'ai lu the 13th of April 2016 with ISBN 9782290119129.
- a Greek translation Ο εκτελεστής του γελωτοποιού from Μεταίχμιο the 23rd of February 2017 in paperback with ISBN 9786180302417. Translated by Ειρήνη Παϊδούση.
- a Hebrew translation הרוצח של הליצן the 31st of March 2015 by Opus with ISBN 150977
- an Italian translation L'Assassino - Il Ritorno the 17th of November 2015 from Sperling & Kupfer with ISBN 978882005936 (hardcover). Translated by Maria C. Scotto, cover art by Sasha Vinogradova. Kindle edition released simultaneously with ASIN B017YFH9S4. Reprinted in paperback with a different cover by Sperling & Kupfer the 4th of October 2016 with ISBN 9788820061166.
- A Polish translation Skrytobójca Błazna the 24th of May2017 from MAG with ISBN 9788374806770 (hardcover). Cover art by Dominik Broniek, translated by Agnieszka Kwiatkowska.
- a Portuguese translation O Assassino Do Bobo from Saída de Emergência in paperback the 19th of May 2017. Cover art by Alejandro Colucci.
- The Dutch translation won the Hebban Award for Best translated fantasy book in 2015 
- Find Fool's Assassin on bookdepository.com
- Find Fool's Assassin on amazon.com
- Find Fool's Assassin on amazon.co.uk
- https://www.hebban.nl/artikelen/hebban-awards-2015-de-beste-fantasy Hebban Awards 2015: de beste fantasy.