Cut is a short story that first appeared in Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine in May 2001. It was nominated for the Best Short Story Nebula in 2002.
The story deals with the question "who owns the body?" and is set in the undefined future. The protagonist is an older woman whose granddaughter Patsy is fascinated by body modifications and plans to have the ultimate "Cut" done.
- Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine, May 2001.
- Asimov's website 'Cut' online (dead link) illustrated by Laurie Harden.
- Reprinted in Nebula Awards Showcase 2004.
- Reprinted in The Inheritance in 2011.
- A Dutch translation (title?) published in 2012 in De verhalen.
- French translation Coupée in the Magazine Galaxies #42 in 2007
- French translation Coupure in L’Héritage et autres nouvelles first published in 2012, reprinted in 2013.