Silver Lady and the Fortyish Man
Silver Lady and the Fortyish Man is a story written for Megan's husband Fred for his 40th birthday. The Silver Lady is a would-be writer who, working in a Sears store, meets a man who seems ordinary in every way - except his name is Merlin.
- first published in Asimov's Magazine in January 1989.
- reprinted in The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection in 1990. Hardcover ISBN 0312044518 and paperback ISBN 0312044526.
- reprinted in Best New SF 4 in August 1990, a paperback from Robinson with ISBN 9781854870575. Edited by Gardner Dozois. Cover by Ian Craig.
- a limited signed 1000-copy chapbook edition Silver Lady and the Fortyish Man from Hypatia Press in April 1994 with the ISBN 0940841983. Cover by Rick Sherman.
- a numbered 50-copy hardcover edition was distributed with the leather-bound deluxe edition of Wizard of the Pigeons from Hypatia Press in 1994. Includes an introduction by Megan's daughter Katie Ogden.
- reprinted in the anthology Isaac Asimov's Camelot in 1998 with ISBN 0441005276.
- reprinted in The Inheritance anthology (in various formats, see the article) in 2011 with a foreword from the author.
- A Dutch translation (title?) published in 2012 in De verhalen.
- A French translation Le Quadragénaire et la Dame d'Argent in the anthology De Brocéliande en Avalon in April 2008. Translation by Lionel Davoust. Reprinted in 2012 with by Terre de Brume with ISBN 9782843623776.
- A French translation La Dame d’Argent et le Quadragénaire in L’Héritage et autres nouvelles first published in 2012, reprinted in 2013.
- A German translation Silberdame und der Mann um die Vierzig from Heyne in Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazin 38. Folge in December 1991. Edited by Friedel Wahren, paperback with ISBN 345305377X and cover art by Karel Thole.
- An Italian translation La dama d'argento e l'uomo di mezza età, translated by Carla Meazza. First published in 1992 in Stelle di neutroni and again in Millemondi Inverno 1995 by Arnoldo Mondadori with cover art by Giuseppe Festino.
- A Polish translation Srebrna Dama i facet po czterdziestce, translated by Agnieszka Hałas, published in the Fenix anthology volume 5 (2019) by Gniazdo Światów, edited by Aleksandra Janusz Slver. Also available in an ebook edition, however for licensing reasons "Silver Lady" is only available in the printed version.
The story was a nominee for both the Nebula Award and the Asimov's Readers Award for Best Novelette in 1989.